Photo
- - - - -

Japanese Hospital here in the Philippines?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 rogerfederer

rogerfederer

PMD Fellow

• PMD Silver Group
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 05 September 2004 - 07:31 PM

http://www.mb.com.ph...4090617839.html

Japanese firm to put up $100-M retirement facility
To build 1,000-bed hospital here

By BERNIE CAHILES-MAGKILAT

Tokushukai Medical Corp., the largest hospital chain in Japan, has committed to put up a 1,000-bed hospital complete with retirement facilities at a cost of $100 million.

This was revealed by Trade and Industry Secretary Cesar V. Purisima saying this was a good start to the government’s effort to position the country as a prime destination for medical care and treatment for overseas patients in need of quality health services.

The Philippines has the potential to develop the health services sector into a $1-billion industry, Purisima said.

"We made a breakthrough in terms of building or starting up our medical and retirement services targetted towards the Japanese market," Purisima said.

But what the government has yet to convince Congress to pass a law allowing Japanese doctors to practice in that Japanese hospital.

The government is planning of declaring medical zones which foreign practitioners are allowed.

By allowing Japanese doctors to practice in that Japanese hospital, the patients become more comfortable in the quality of care because the hospital is run by Japanese doctors.

This will give the Japanese patients the same feeling that they are back home seeking treatment but the difference is they are paying at a lower cost.

"Japan is a rapidly aging country and in 10 years time their average age will be approximately 60 years old and considering that Japanese have the one third of the world savings, they have enough money to pay for our services," Purisima said.

Tokushukai has 160 medical care facilities throughout Japan and 47 hospitals with a capacity of between 190 to 600 beds each. It has a total staff of 16,000.

Earlier, Sanyo Emeritus Corp., a joint venture of Emeritus Corp. of Seattle and Sanyo Electric Co. Ltd. of Osaka, also expressed keen interest on establishing a retirement village for elderly Japanese in Tagaytay.

"The Japanese are very much interested in setting up the facilities here because we have an abundance of caregivers and medical professionals in the country. Instead of these professionals going to Japan, it will be more convenient for Japanese elderly to stay here because we have a temperate climate," Purisima said.

Sanyo Emeritus has foreseen the need for assisted living in Japan and the joint venture was meant to help meet these needs.

The Japanese government expects that by the year 2020, 27 percent of the Japanese population will be over 65 years of age.

Statistics showed that by year 2025, the number of people aged 60 and over will be highest in developed countries including Japan, Italy, Germany and the US.

Aside from the Japanese market, European businessmen have begun exploring the possibilities of establishing the country as one of the best health care destinations in the world.

European Chamber of Commerce of the Philippines (ECCP) executive director Henry Schumacher, however, said that for this to become a reality, the government must create a publicprivate sector task force to develop a strategy that would prepare the Philippines as an ideal health care destination.

"This group must explore the market potential, regulatory and resource requirements, or identity which market niches in the Philippines would be competitive or what steps must be taken to remain competitive," Schumacher said.

#2 rogerfederer

rogerfederer

PMD Fellow

• PMD Silver Group
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 05 September 2004 - 07:37 PM

What really struck me with this article is that Congress is considering Japanese doctors to practice here.

Reactions? Comments?

For me, its bad enough that Filipino doctors are not satisfied with their practice here, now, we have to contend with the Japanese doctors.

On the other hand, I wonder what their reacton would be if they encounter Filipino patients with no money to pay them.

#3 TopMedic

TopMedic

PMD Consultant

• Pinoy.MD Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 715 posts

Posted 05 September 2004 - 08:57 PM

I think they're after Japanese clients more than Filipinos.This is probably more of a nursing/retirement home facility with a hospital wing. Japanese companies are known to pamper their employees after their retirement, even paying for their stay in retirement and nursing homes and their hospitalization. A filthy-rich Filipino politician had this idea many years ago. He wanted to build a nursing home facility for Japanese and other foreign clients in a piece of resort land he owns somewhere in Quezon province (Sariaya?). Apparently, retirement facilities are getting too crowded in Japan. Who knows, that politician is now a part of a group that's "helping" facilitate this :eyebrows:

Japanese doctors should be treated as FMG's by the Philippine government and should be given examinations, pass certain requirements before they can practice. Who knows, practicing in the Philippines may not be attractive to Japanese doctors. On a positive note, Filipino doctors and nurses should consider this as an excellent employment opportunity. Mahal daw magbayad ang Hapon e... :eyebrows:

#4 Jojo Ferrer

Jojo Ferrer

Stockholder

• Pinoy.MD Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 923 posts

Posted 05 September 2004 - 10:24 PM

Japanese doctors should be treated as FMG's by the Philippine government and should be given examinations, pass certain requirements before they can practice.

So true. This should be done at the very least. Or there should be some sort of reciprocity (Filipino doctors will have the same benefits in Japan). We should not only think of how much money this could bring into the country, but how this could affect the practice of local doctors. I hope the interests of Pinoy MDs are protected while this is being discussed in Congress.

#5 wolverine

wolverine

PMD Consultant

• Pinoy.MD Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,192 posts

Posted 05 September 2004 - 11:51 PM

I doubt if there will be reciprocity here. Knowing how protective the japanese of their interest. IMHO, this will be an offshore japanese hospital employing only japanese medical consultants enjoying all the benefits and salaries warranted in their home country, and using filipino board certified mds to do their scut work paid within philippine standards. I really do hope I'm wrong with this.

#6 Jojo Ferrer

Jojo Ferrer

Stockholder

• Pinoy.MD Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 923 posts

Posted 06 September 2004 - 12:37 AM

I doubt if there will be reciprocity here....japanese medical consultants enjoying all the benefits and salaries warranted in their home country, and using filipino board certified mds to do their scut work paid within philippine standards. I really do hope I'm wrong with this.

I hope so too. Sana man lang Japan-standard rates for the Pinoy MDs. More wishful thinking on my part, eh? :-?

#7 TopMedic

TopMedic

PMD Consultant

• Pinoy.MD Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 715 posts

Posted 06 September 2004 - 07:37 AM

I hope so too. Sana man lang Japan-standard rates for the Pinoy MDs. More wishful thinking on my part, eh?

Here's an idea for our geniuses in Congress since they hold the ace here. One of the pre-conditions should be that Filipino doctors and nurses get the same pay or close to the same pay as Japanese doctors. I'd like to think that this Japanese company decided to "outsource" in the Philippines because of the competence of the doctors and the reputation of our nurses worldwide.

Here's a quote from a Manila Bulletin article a few months ago entitled Medical Tourism :

The Philippines has both the available manpower and culture to support retirees. The educational system churns about 300,000 to 400,000 graduates every year and about 7% or 21,000 to 28,000 come from medical-related degrees. The abundance of medical service providers in the country is reflected in the endless stream of nurses, physical therapists and care givers from the Philippines going to other countries like the United States, Canada, and the United Kingdom. With retirees going to the Philippines, these people need not go to these countries and leave their families behind just to earn the levels of income they would get catering to other nationalities. They can provide the same service and perhaps receive the same income levels serving these nationalities here in the Philippines.

- Manila Bulletin, March 8, 2004

If this pans out, maybe more doctors will go into Geriatric Medicine than nursing... ;) Or maybe, I am too much of an optimist :cool: .

#8 wolverine

wolverine

PMD Consultant

• Pinoy.MD Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,192 posts

Posted 06 September 2004 - 08:31 AM

Congressman Torao Tokuda, chairman and chief executive officer of the Tokushujai Medical Corp. (TMC), flew in yesterday with the intent of putting up a hospital in the Philippines.
More of this here: big dip

As part of the strategy, the Department of Trade and Industry is also pushing for the establishment of “medical zones” where foreign medical practitioners would be allowed to practice their profession. This would make patients become more comfortable with the quality of care in hospitals in the country.
and here:
ABS-CBNNEWS.COM

#9 tortuga

tortuga

PMD Consultant

• PMD Platinum Group
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,654 posts

Posted 06 September 2004 - 09:22 AM

Considering how desperate our government is, they will most likely approve these medical zones. The country may benefit in general but this will not benefit our doctors. More nurses will be hired and maybe a few doctors. Most corporations are after big profits and they are only considering the Philippines for offshoring due to cost-cutting, so big salaries for Filipinos are unlikely.

#10 rogerfederer

rogerfederer

PMD Fellow

• PMD Silver Group
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 06 September 2004 - 03:00 PM

i believe that PMA and PRC should make a stand as early as now whether or not to let Japanese doctors practice here without a license.

i also read in the big dip article that they own several hospitals all over the world, we need to find out if indeed Japanese doctors work there under special priviledges without taking the licensure exam.

i think the 1,000 bed capacity hospital will in some way help the country, as long as Filipino doctors are involved and not shut out.

Off topic, with this new hospital, and the New Medical City already operational and St luke's at the Global City plus Makati Med also also planning to build a new one in its parking lot space, I wonder how this would affect our healthcare system, the gap will be bigger than ever.