69 replies to this topic

#51 d_scribe

d_scribe

PMD Resident

• PMD Bronze 2 Group
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 30 May 2010 - 10:16 PM

I've finally decided to take the USMLE. Don't know where and how to start though, if I plan to take the exam around October. Suggestions for good reviewers too...Anyone, please? Thanks. :)

#52 frankric

frankric

PMD Intern

• PMD Bronze 2 Group
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 09:08 AM

I've finally decided to take the USMLE. Don't know where and how to start though, if I plan to take the exam around October. Suggestions for good reviewers too...Anyone, please? Thanks. :)

I recommend Kaplan USMLE Step 1 videos and books, Goljan Patho, simulation exams. First Aid USMLE Step 1. Then USMLE World (online) for the questions. I know of someone to whom you can get the vids and books at the cheapest price. PM me if you want his contact num or if you want to know a sample study schedule.

Godbless

#53 frankric

frankric

PMD Intern

• PMD Bronze 2 Group
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 09:15 AM

I recommend Kaplan USMLE Step 1 videos and books, Goljan Patho, simulation exams. First Aid USMLE Step 1. Then USMLE World (online) for the questions. I know of someone to whom you can get the vids and books at the cheapest price. PM me if you want his contact num or if you want to know a sample study schedule.

Godbless

#54 bleudsky_md

bleudsky_md

PMD Consultant

• Pinoy.MD Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,505 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 01:34 AM

hey colleagues. ask ko lang kung magkano na ang USMLE step 1 ngayon? thanks!

#55 xthine

xthine

PMD Consultant

• PMD Gold Group
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 764 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 06:50 PM

Per ECFMG site 780 + 140USD.

#56 somnolent_md

somnolent_md

PMD Med Student

• PMD Bronze Group
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 01:54 AM

[size="3"]nice topic...i would like to start my review na...from the books you've mentioned, anung mas ok for patho...kaplan lectures notes, goljan or BRS? do i need to study all? how about review book for physio and biochem? thanks!

#57 ishareyrey

ishareyrey

PMD Intern

• PMD Bronze 2 Group
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 02:37 AM

Most medical students who study in the US take USMLE Step 1 right after their 2nd year in medical school. Im just curious when Pinoy medical students usually take it--after their 2nd year or after they graduate?

#58 imcv

imcv

PMD Resident

• PMD Bronze 2 Group
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 06:13 PM

Question po, how long did it take you to review Step 1? It's been 2 years for me since I graduated. And I am planning to start studying for it again. Do you think that 6 months is enough?

#59 imcv

imcv

PMD Resident

• PMD Bronze 2 Group
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 06:19 PM

Hmm....nobody's mentioned the comparisons of a USMLE to our actual Philippine boards. Medyo napeak din ang curiousity ko with regards to the USMLE. What if average student ka lang? or if your grade in the boards ng Pinas is semi-semi sabit (haha, whatta term!)lang? What are the percentage chances for them to score/fare in the USMLE. I've heard from various sources that the MLE is *easy* (when I say easy meaning medjo mape-predict mo pa kung anung lalabas sa actual exam, unlike sa Pinas, eneverythang under the sun ang datung), so any comments/thoughts? Thanks! :blink:

My friend said it's a lot fairer than the Philippine boards. Sa boards kasi, parang maraming tanong na hindi naman relevant para maging isang GP. hahahaha!

#60 AsclepiusMD

AsclepiusMD

PMD Intern

• PMD Bronze 2 Group
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 10:24 AM

Mga Doctors good day. I am planning to apply for USMLE step 1.When I was reading the ECFMG booklet 2012,I got confused in the part of "Applying for the Examination" for medical graduates, the MAIL part (form 186). Here's my situation; I graduated from Iloilo City and currently moonlighting in MANILA. The booklet states that the form 186 must be signed by an authorized official in our school then all documents required including form 186 must be sent to the ECFMG directly from our deans office. (if i understood it correctly...) Do i really need to go to Iloilo city to appear before the authorized official to sign the form? or can I mail it to our school and have them sign and mail all the documents? what's the best thing for me to do? I fear that our school will use ordinary mail to submit the documents, which will further delay my application.
Thank you po ng marami sa nyo..

#61 JezMD

JezMD

PMD Med Student

• PMD Bronze Group
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 10:59 PM

Hi AsclepiusMD. Regarding your question, if your school participates in EMSWP (online verification of your status as your school's graduate) you can have your form 186 signed by a notary public in Manila and all your documents can be sent by you directly to ecfmg. You can ask your school directly if indeed they participate in EMSWP. Another option is what you've mentioned which is sending the form186 to your school with all the other requirements and ask them to send it via a courier service. Maybe you also need to give them the money for the courier fee.

#62 joshnepal

joshnepal

PMD Intern

• PMD Bronze 2 Group
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 12:49 AM

where can we take USMLE step 1 exam in philippines ?? r u allowed to take exam here in phil?
thank u guys

#63 stegapher

stegapher

PMD Resident

• PMD Bronze 2 Group
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 07:10 AM

where can we take USMLE step 1 exam in philippines ?? r u allowed to take exam here in phil?
thank u guys

i think you can take the step 1 sa mga prometric testing centers. Hindi ko lang alam kung saan testing center, hehe, incoming first year palang naman ako. :P I tried taking the MCAT before, sa may Makati yun testing center ko. You can take it here in the philippines, pero sa alam ko mas mahal. :)

#64 emdeesomeday

emdeesomeday

PMD Intern

• PMD Bronze 2 Group
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 09:52 PM

I just want to raise this question i found from another site... (IN CASE SOME OF YOU HERE KNOW THE ANSWER)Posted Image

"is a future CA approval retroactive? As in: if I start now, and somehow ASMPH gets CA approval during my 3rd year.. will I be able to be licensed in CA?"

I copied the question from this site http://forums.studen...p/t-383529.html...

off topic... sorryPosted Image

#65 findthisbookplease

findthisbookplease

PMD Intern

• PMD Bronze 2 Group
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 07:51 PM

FOR SALE: FIRST AID FOR THE USMLE STEP 1 2012 EDITION BY TAO LE (METRO MANILA ONLY)
please email findthisbookplease@yahoo.com for details, thank you!

#66 findthisbookplease

findthisbookplease

PMD Intern

• PMD Bronze 2 Group
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 07:55 PM

FOR SALE: FIRST AID FOR THE USMLE STEP 1 2012 EDITION BY TAO LE (METRO MANILA ONLY)
please email findthisbookplease@yahoo.com for details, thank you!

#67 nicolaetorres

nicolaetorres

PMD Intern

• PMD Bronze 2 Group
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 09:09 PM

thank u guys

Yes you can take it here. yes @stegapher was right, You have to contact prometrics for that. I think they usually do the exams in Ateneo. the cost would be $940, since your doing it here. But if youre gonna do it in the US its 100 dollars less. Scheduling your exam is on a 3 month schedule, once you have paid the exam fee, you have to choose a certain 3 month period wherein you can take it. Extending/rescheduling your 3 month period would be another dollars for them :)

#68 annyhadel

annyhadel

PMD Med Student

• PMD Bronze Group
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 January 2017 - 11:45 PM

Guys, Buhayin ko lang yung thread. Planning to take USMLE step 1. Paano ba magapply? Can you give me detAils kung paano? Di ko mahanap sa website kung paano magapply eh. Ano ang requirements?

#69 race2006

race2006

PMD Resident

• PMD Bronze 2 Group
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 05 February 2017 - 07:27 AM

Please go to ecfmg.org.  Or google "Education Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates".  Go to their website and read everything that you need to know about USMLE.  The process is lengthy, and expensive.

#70 MEDGRAD8

MEDGRAD8

PMD Med Student

• PMD Bronze Group
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 02:47 AM

Is there any interest in USMLE tutors or Step 1 review course? Let me know.