#1 doc_rv

doc_rv

PMD Consultant

• PMD Gold Group
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 758 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 10:44 PM

Step 1 to Include Media Clips Starting in May 2008

A small number of multiple-choice items with associated audio and/or video clips will be introduced into the USMLE Step 1 Examination beginning in mid- to late May 2008. No more than 5 items with associated media clips will appear in a single examination. The 2008 USMLE Orientation Materials include a small number of multiple-choice items that contain exhibits involving audio and/or video clips. Instructions for practicing with items with associated media clips on Step 1, Step 2 CK, and Step 3 are provided in the Tutorials for each Step examination in the orientation materials.

Items with associated media were introduced into Step 2 CK in 2007, and into Step 3 in March of 2008. As of May 2008 all three multiple-choice question components of the USMLE examination will include items with associated audio and/or video.

#2 doc_rv

doc_rv

PMD Consultant

• PMD Gold Group
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 758 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 10:46 PM

Change in Number of Items/Delay in Scoring [Posted April 22, 2008]

Starting on or around May 15, 2008, a transition period will begin in which the number of items in current forms of the Step 1 examination will change from 350 items to 336 items. Although the transition will occur quickly at many test centers, there may also be some locations where the changes take slightly longer to complete. The overall transition period will likely last approximately 6 weeks. The length of the examination day will remain unchanged.

The decrease in the number of items per form will be accounted for in scoring the examination results, so that scores on new and old forms will be comparable. Because of these changes in timing, as well as modifications to the test item pool and the processing load caused by a heavy volume of test takers, there will be a delay in score reporting for most Step 1 examinations administered in the second half of May and June.

The target date for reporting Step 1 scores for most examinees testing from May 15 through late June will be Wednesday, July 16, 2008.

#3 irishbluemargarita

irishbluemargarita

PMD Resident

• PMD Bronze 2 Group
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 04:27 AM

ayan may step 1 thread na! ^_^

#4 sHa_MD

sHa_MD

PMD Visiting Physician

• PMD Silver Group
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 26 May 2008 - 11:39 PM

Hi, guys. I'm about to take Step 1 next week here in Phils sa Makati. Anybody here nag step 1 recently lang?
All I need to bring are the ff: permit with confirmation number, ID, lunch, pen. Right? :)
Is it cold sa test site dapat todo long sleeves? :D

I'm gonna check out the site this weekend eh. Do I need to present anything to check out the place?

Thanks in advance!

#5 patitay

patitay

PMD Fellow

• PMD Silver Group
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 27 May 2008 - 12:12 AM

hi sha! i think that's about everything you need. the testing room's temp is comfortable naman but might as well bring a light sweater just in case. if ur checking out the place this weekend, you probly need to present ur ID to the guard in the lobby. good luck with step 1!

#6 sHa_MD

sHa_MD

PMD Visiting Physician

• PMD Silver Group
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 27 May 2008 - 02:06 AM

Thank you, Patitay! :)

#7 Agent Zero

Agent Zero

PMD Fellow

• PMD Silver Group
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 11:44 PM

Hi! I'm on the process of applying to take the step 1 exam. right now i'm at the us until december pero ngayon palang ako nagapply sa ecfmg but, is it possible to sched my exam on december or is it more appropriate to sched it next year coz nanghihinayang ako sa papunta ko dito kaya i'm afraid na baka pag kinuha ko yung eligibility period ng december til feb baka di pa matapos ang processing ng mga requirements ko coz ipapadala pa yun from the PI. I need some advise pipol. Thanks.

#8 wandering doctor

wandering doctor

PMD Resident

• PMD Bronze 2 Group
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 02 October 2008 - 08:01 AM

hello po sa lahat!
meron po kasi akong kaibigan na walang account dito, gusto lang nya patanong kung ano ang chances nya dahil 75-80 (secret daw ang exact score) lang nakuha nya sa step 1. di po sya immigrant, wala pa rin us visa.
sa tingin nyo po ba eh ituloy pa nya lahat ng steps? may mga first hand experience ba kayo o narinig na parang ganun din ang case na na-match, kahit dun sa mga maluluwag na programs?
o wag na lang ituloy dahil sayang lang ang pera, effort, time dahil sobrang labo na ng chance na ma-match kahit sabihin na natin na mataas makukuha nya sa ck, cs, at 3?
dilemma nya kasi ngayon yung ituloy pa versus magstart na ng residency dito sa atin.
maraming salamat po in advance sa mga opinion nyo!

#9 sHa_MD

sHa_MD

PMD Visiting Physician

• PMD Silver Group
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 02 October 2008 - 09:03 AM

Hmm... I did some research na about hospitals that are willing to sponsor J1 or H1B visa. Almost all of them require OR prefer applicants with 85 above na scores for all steps. Internal Medicine residency programs yung niresearch ko. Not sure about other specialties. :unsure:

#10 xthine

xthine

PMD Consultant

• PMD Gold Group
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 764 posts

Posted 02 October 2008 - 06:58 PM

hello po sa lahat!
meron po kasi akong kaibigan na walang account dito, gusto lang nya patanong kung ano ang chances nya dahil 75-80 (secret daw ang exact score) lang nakuha nya sa step 1. di po sya immigrant, wala pa rin us visa.
sa tingin nyo po ba eh ituloy pa nya lahat ng steps? may mga first hand experience ba kayo o narinig na parang ganun din ang case na na-match, kahit dun sa mga maluluwag na programs?
o wag na lang ituloy dahil sayang lang ang pera, effort, time dahil sobrang labo na ng chance na ma-match kahit sabihin na natin na mataas makukuha nya sa ck, cs, at 3?
dilemma nya kasi ngayon yung ituloy pa versus magstart na ng residency dito sa atin.

Hello Wandering Doctor!

This is not from first hand experience but there are IMGs that get matched despite having attempts on their exam and definitely there are those with average scores that get matched. Which specialty is your friend eyeing? There are programs that solely gauge applicants by their scores and there are those which look at the overall application. Having said that, I think that if your friend can get higher scores for the next 2 steps (especially step 3) plus beef up the CV (research, US clinical experience, publications, volunteer work etc) then he has better chances at getting matched. Of course your friend will never know unless he/she tries right? Does your friend really want to train in the US? The USMLEs up to the match itself could certainly be very challenging/draining mentally and emotionally, if your friend applies with halfhearted efforts then it will only be harder for him/her.

Hope this helps. Good luck to your friend. :)

#11 vhorister

vhorister

PMD Visiting Physician

• PMD Silver Group
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 02 October 2008 - 07:36 PM

Hi to everybody! its been a long time since I posted something in this forum.
I was in your position several years back so I think I can relate somehow in your predicament. First of all you should decide first what do you want to do in your career because taking USMLE is a big step that might change your career path and possibly your life as well.

Applying for the US match is a very tedious and expensive thing to do for a newly graduate MD but you can consider this as an investment financially and educationally. The USMLE scores of course is a very important factor in your application because it serves as a screening tool for the programs for them to decide whose going to the interviews so as much as possible try to get a decent scores. but in a package its not just the size that counts, the wrapper, ribbons and cards have an impact too. What I'm trying to sayhere is if you can get a well written LOR's not just the generic and usual form then its a big plus factor. Program directors and your interviewers read this letters and remember that these individuals write LOR's too for their students, residents and fellows. Another variable factor that you can modify is your personal statement, I believe americans are into this as in almost every application that they do requires personal statments. Try to write an amusing, interesting and hard to forget personal statement. You should establish your personality and why would they consider you to be in their program. In my case 75% of my interviews they didn't ask me regarding my academics they always ask my about my personal statement, i was fortunate to have a wife who wrote this statement.
If you get to the interviews then the playing field is different. Everything is square one even if you have the highest USMLE's or average scores. At that time take advantage of the situation and gamitin natin ang pagiging PINOY na maabilidad at mahusay sa pakikipagusap. Try not to impress the interviewers much because I believe they are already impress at you kasi they invited you already for an interview. Sometimes they have a scoring system during interviews that they use to evaluate every applicant and mostly it does not assess your medical knowledge but your personality and probable work ethics.

If you have the financial means try to apply to many programs, you will never know who will invite you for an interview. di mo malalaman kapag di mo sinubukan.

#12 tortuga

tortuga

PMD Consultant

• PMD Platinum Group
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,654 posts

Posted 03 October 2008 - 07:09 AM

hello po sa lahat!

It also depends whether he/she only took it one time (take one). Some FM programs accept lower scores if there is no repeat. Also depends on the applicants desire/dedication and most of all MONEY. If they apply widely (cost a lot) with good personal statements and LOR's (especially if they can get extenship or observership) all is not lost. It's just much tougher nowadays.

#13 wandering doctor

wandering doctor

PMD Resident

• PMD Bronze 2 Group
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 07 October 2008 - 08:18 PM

ok, maraming maraming salamat po sa mga reply.
nagdecide sya na ituloy pa nga rin at subukang pataasin ang ck, cs, at 3 nya. sabi ko na kumuha na rin sya ng externship/observership para pampa-gwapo ng cv pati mga lor's galing na lang sa alumni nila hindi lang dito pati na rin dun sa mga nasa us na.
yung mga programs naman na gusto nya eh hindi ganun ka-competetive, tumatanggap kahit mababa ang scores. at ok na rin daw sa kanya kahit sa mga community hospitals lang kunyari.
anyway, kung sakali naman na hindi talaga sya makakuha ng slot pero gusto nya mag-fellowship sa us na lang, ok lang naman kahit na ganung 75-80 lang ang score nya sa step 1?

#14 xthine

xthine

PMD Consultant

• PMD Gold Group
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 764 posts

Posted 08 October 2008 - 10:12 PM

^ Your friend can check this link about Fellowship in the US.

I've heard that it's harder (but not impossible) to get a fellowship without prior US residency training.

#15 bella

bella

PMD Med Student

• PMD Bronze Group
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 17 October 2008 - 02:42 AM

Hi, everyone! .. i have a problem din, i scheduled my exam for step 1 on jan 2009 the problem is... due to inevitable circumstances i can't be able to go there on january to take the exam kasi what i initially planned was to take it sa california! so testing region ko US and CAnada.. eh pano kya pa change to philippines (Asia) na testing region/center? and would you know if there are extra charges aside from the surcharge na $130 kasi outside US sha take? do you guys have an idea how to go about it? although im going to call them nlng din and ask.. kindly help me! hahahaha.. whew!!! thnx!!! :unsure:

#16 drjordan

drjordan

PMD Consultant

• PMD Gold Group
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 470 posts

Posted 31 October 2008 - 08:27 AM

hello every one, first of all i want to say to all those who have had interview requests, congratulations, reading your posts gives me hope.. :D
im still in the process of sending my application forms and reviewing for step 1, i also have enrolled in kaplan, up to now i still dont know why, was it family pressure, a hasty decision, or did i just buy into the hype. i admit i some times, actually a lot of the time, regret paying the WHOOOOOPING fee and joining, but i wanna make the best of it. has any one been in the same boat? has/is any one taken/taking a kaplan review right now? some people say it looks good on the resume you send to the hospitals for matching, personally it sounds like a load of hoohaa...any comments?

#17 sephiroth14_md

sephiroth14_md

PMD Resident

• PMD Bronze 2 Group
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 10:29 PM

hello fellow md's...bubuhayin ko lang itong thread na ito with a very simple question..sana may sumagot. hehe

for all those who have already taken the usmle exams..
pg mag take ba tayo ng exam (step 1, step 2ck)...ano ba dapat ang attire?
kelangan ba naka-coat and tie?
or blazer?
pde ba mag casual?
or pde ba mg scrub suit? :D

hehe happy new year to everyone!

#18 sHa_MD

sHa_MD

PMD Visiting Physician

• PMD Silver Group
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 03 January 2009 - 04:00 PM

^^ I don't remember reading about dress code in the usmle website for step 1 and CK. I took the exam wearing the most comfortable, but, presentable clothing I could find in my closet. :) Yung mga kasabay ko naka t-shirt or shirt na may collar and jeans lang.

Happy New Year to you, too. :)

#19 patitay

patitay

PMD Fellow

• PMD Silver Group
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 04 January 2009 - 10:44 AM

hello fellow md's...bubuhayin ko lang itong thread na ito with a very simple question..sana may sumagot. hehe

for all those who have already taken the usmle exams..
pg mag take ba tayo ng exam (step 1, step 2ck)...ano ba dapat ang attire?
kelangan ba naka-coat and tie?
or blazer?
pde ba mag casual?
or pde ba mg scrub suit? :D

hehe happy new year to everyone!

there is no required attire. just make sure you're comfortable. bring a sweater or light jacket in case you get cold. happy new year and good luck! :)

#20 dojomaster

dojomaster

PMD Visiting Physician

• PMD Silver Group
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 04 January 2009 - 10:50 AM

I have some questions : Can I submit all initial requirements to ECFMG, wait for them for approval of said requirements, then schedule for the exam at a much later date? I'm not in a hurry kasi... planning to take the exams at the US when I get there, might take me 1 to 2 years pa... wala ba expiration ang requirements? What about the fees, can I pay them when I'm ready to schedule my exam?

#21 mr.mody

mr.mody

PMD Med Student

• PMD Bronze Group
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 05 March 2009 - 05:06 AM

I have some questions : Can I submit all initial requirements to ECFMG, wait for them for approval of said requirements, then schedule for the exam at a much later date? I'm not in a hurry kasi... planning to take the exams at the US when I get there, might take me 1 to 2 years pa... wala ba expiration ang requirements? What about the fees, can I pay them when I'm ready to schedule my exam?

Hi!

I think ECFMG would only process papers which are in the nearest 6 months schedule. So if you want to take the October 2009 step 1 exams and you submitted your application/requirements last January 2009, ECFMG will only start processing that by early April 2009.

So if I were you, submit your application 3-6 months before your preferred exam period (since the processing can also differ from school/ places/ document clerical error which requires further verification hence ends up more than 3 months ([very rare]). Besides they want your picture taken at least within 6 months time (as if they know the physical changes not unless if you submit your high school photo).

They will still reassess your documents and try to verify that from your school. If everything is complete and valid, ECFMG will notify you and will be ask to send your payment and preferred testing period. They will not process your papers without full payment.

I myself is taking a longer time on reviewing since I'm working full time and probably take step 1 this coming July to August 2009 period.

#22 jackamomo

jackamomo

PMD Fellow

• PMD Silver Group
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 10:59 AM

Hmm....nobody's mentioned the comparisons of a USMLE to our actual Philippine boards. Medyo napeak din ang curiousity ko with regards to the USMLE. What if average student ka lang? or if your grade in the boards ng Pinas is semi-semi sabit (haha, whatta term!)lang? What are the percentage chances for them to score/fare in the USMLE. I've heard from various sources that the MLE is *easy* (when I say easy meaning medjo mape-predict mo pa kung anung lalabas sa actual exam, unlike sa Pinas, eneverythang under the sun ang datung), so any comments/thoughts? Thanks! :blink:

#23 Dr_Smiley

Dr_Smiley

PMD Consultant

• PMD Gold Group
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 721 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 12:47 PM

Hmm....nobody's mentioned the comparisons of a USMLE to our actual Philippine boards. Medyo napeak din ang curiousity ko with regards to the USMLE. What if average student ka lang? or if your grade in the boards ng Pinas is semi-semi sabit (haha, whatta term!)lang? What are the percentage chances for them to score/fare in the USMLE. I've heard from various sources that the MLE is *easy* (when I say easy meaning medjo mape-predict mo pa kung anung lalabas sa actual exam, unlike sa Pinas, eneverythang under the sun ang datung), so any comments/thoughts? Thanks! :blink:

Jack,

Hinde mahirap ang USMLE if you are prepared. Pero kung umaasa ka sa predictions- eh baka hindi malinaw ang makuha mong mga vibes sa actual exam. Kailangan actually prepared ka sa actual exam. Dito sa Amerika eneverything under the sun ang datung din kaya lang pagdating sa mga exam tulad ng USMLE or specialty boards it doesn't matter if you're a brilliant or mediocre student. Preparation will increase your chances of passing. Talking from experience the USMLE is a very fair exam- the questions asked are what is important in the practice of medicine. They will not ask a far out syndrome that nobody even heard about. Good Luck :cool:

#24 sniper003

sniper003

PMD Intern

• PMD Bronze 2 Group
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 16 May 2009 - 02:00 AM

Hi to All,

I'm out of the country right now, and just started to work here in Abu Dhabi.
At the same time, my eagerness to start USMLE is the next best thing
as far as career move is concern. It's just that I really don't know how and
where to start.
I am wondering if there is anyone here who could give some insights.

Thanks.

#25 tudgybeybeh

tudgybeybeh

PMD Visiting Physician

• PMD Silver Group
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 16 May 2009 - 04:32 PM

hello sniper. Im in Dubai. At nagplaplano mag take ng USMLE, maybe next month. Pero ang hirap magreview lalo na kung busy sa work.

But you can try, you have all the time in the world. =) just start by going to ECFMG.org and download the USMLE Information BUlletin. You can register online.

#26 meemee

meemee

PMD Intern

• PMD Bronze 2 Group
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 04:04 AM

can i ask po anu exact website address ng MLE world?? im planning to take it kasi...thanks

#27 patitay

patitay

PMD Fellow

• PMD Silver Group
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 06:10 AM

it's usmleworld.com

#28 meemee

meemee

PMD Intern

• PMD Bronze 2 Group
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 12:00 AM

maraming salamat po patitay

#29 wanderer

wanderer

PMD Visiting Physician

• PMD Silver Group
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 265 posts

Posted 24 May 2009 - 05:56 PM

In my opinion, the Philippine Boards I took were easier and more predictable; the main dilemma was choosing the right answer, i.e. 1 + 1 = 2 or 3 or 4 or 5?
Ans. 2

The US Boards (FMGEMS, NMB, USMLE) test your understanding of the material and have alot of clinical correlation as well, i.e. Given that "5" is the result, place the following in the correct order: -, 6, twenty-four, =, III, +, divided by, -, 2, 3
Ans. Twenty-four - 6 divided by III - 3 + 2 = (Tama ba?)

Don't know if this is going to encourage or to discourage anyone, but it took me EIGHT attempts to pass Part I. :oops: (2 attempts for Part II, 1 attempt for Part III)
Most of my massive fortune gathered over 2 1/2 years as a part-time $7.00/hr library clerk went towards regular ''donations'' to the ECFMG, then finally towards a 6-month Kaplan review.

#30 DoctorDr

DoctorDr

PMD Fellow

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 24 May 2009 - 06:49 PM

In my opinion, the Philippine Boards I took were easier and more predictable; the main dilemma was choosing the right answer, i.e. 1 + 1 = 2 or 3 or 4 or 5?
Ans. 2

The US Boards (FMGEMS, NMB, USMLE) test your understanding of the material and have alot of clinical correlation as well, i.e. Given that "5" is the result, place the following in the correct order: -, 6, twenty-four, =, III, +, divided by, -, 2, 3

Don't know if this is going to encourage or to discourage anyone, but it took me EIGHT attempts to pass Part I. :oops: (2 attempts for Part II, 1 attempt for Part III)
Most of my massive fortune gathered over 2 1/2 years as a part-time $7.00/hr library clerk went towards regular ''donations'' to the ECFMG, then finally towards a 6-month Kaplan review.

are you now in residency?coz its really hard to compete if you have more than one attempt on each step..BUT it is not impossible...

anyways, USMLE requires 2 or more deductive reasonings VS Phil local boards...The Phil Board of medicine should change its style..just my opinion

#31 wanderer

wanderer

PMD Visiting Physician

• PMD Silver Group
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 265 posts

Posted 24 May 2009 - 07:43 PM

Ans. 2

are you now in residency?coz its really hard to compete if you have more than one attempt on each step..BUT it is not impossible...

anyways, USMLE requires 2 or more deductive reasonings VS Phil local boards...The Phil Board of medicine should change its style..just my opinion

Thanks for the concern, doc adrjr, but I've been practicing for 10 years now. Hard as the exams were, I was having a more difficult time dealing with newly-diagnosed muscular dystrophy and the effect it was having (and would be having) on my life and career.

#32 DoctorDr

DoctorDr

PMD Fellow

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 24 May 2009 - 08:31 PM

Ans. 2

Thanks for the concern, doc adrjr, but I've been practicing for 10 years now. Hard as the exams were, I was having a more difficult time dealing with newly-diagnosed muscular dystrophy and the effect it was having (and would be having) on my life and career.

I hope everything will be okay w/ you Dr. Wanderer...By the way where do you practice&what specialty?

#33 wanderer

wanderer

PMD Visiting Physician

• PMD Silver Group
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 265 posts

Posted 07 June 2009 - 03:42 PM

Psychiatry, in the almost-bankrupt state of California :laugh2:

#34 meemee

meemee

PMD Intern

• PMD Bronze 2 Group
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 09:33 AM

ask ko lang alin mas ok sa USMLE world....yun qbanks or yun self assessment ?...thanks po

#35 Bonerskinners

Bonerskinners

PMD Resident

• PMD Bronze 2 Group
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 06:35 PM

ask ko lang alin mas ok sa USMLE world....yun qbanks or yun self assessment ?...thanks po

The qbank is 2000+ worth of practice questions while the assessment is only 4 blocks of 48 questions (per assessment). If you are sharing your account, like what everybody else is doing to save money, get the qbank instead. If you are filthy rich or "sponsored," getting the qbank with the assessment won't hurt.

The important thing to remember to remember is to study and understand every question in the qbank. Don't get discouraged if you're scoring low everytime, talagang mahirap ang uworld. If you are scoring at the range of 55- 70% papasa ka na.

Ask anyone who took the test and they will tell you that the one that really helped them is Uworld. Hope this helps good Luck!

#36 meemee

meemee

PMD Intern

• PMD Bronze 2 Group
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 11:50 PM

thank you so much for replying boneskinner........ive just purchased the qbank, my exam is on july 31 na kasi....sobra pressured and the results that im getting is ranging from 50-56 percent....move ko po ba another 2 weeks pa????? hehehehe

#37 Bonerskinners

Bonerskinners

PMD Resident

• PMD Bronze 2 Group
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 03 July 2009 - 02:56 AM

thank you so much for replying boneskinner........ive just purchased the qbank, my exam is on july 31 na kasi....sobra pressured and the results that im getting is ranging from 50-56 percent....move ko po ba another 2 weeks pa????? hehehehe

I think you'll be fine, tataas pa yan. You still have 4 weeks. I would advice you to think of moving your sched a week before your actual test. The problem of thinking it early is that you'll have the tendency to slack off. Stick to your sched. Hold any thoughts of moving until a week before your test and try to assess if you're ready or not. But if you really want to move it as early as now, ok lang din. Nakakapressure talaga MLE's especially if your goal is to have a grade of 99. But always remember that nothing is impossible and hard work really pays off. Good luck again!

#38 meemee

meemee

PMD Intern

• PMD Bronze 2 Group
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 03 July 2009 - 06:55 AM

ok,thanks again......you are a big help.... ;)

#39 meemee

meemee

PMD Intern

• PMD Bronze 2 Group
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 12:37 AM

question po again??.....yung 55% ba sa uworld is approximately 75 na sa actual MLE.....average ko po kasi sa qbanks is 55-57%...still have 1300 more questions....what if hindi na tumaas...ok na ba yun 55-57%...thanks

#40 Bonerskinners

Bonerskinners

PMD Resident

• PMD Bronze 2 Group
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 09:14 PM

question po again??.....yung 55% ba sa uworld is approximately 75 na sa actual MLE.....average ko po kasi sa qbanks is 55-57%...still have 1300 more questions....what if hindi na tumaas...ok na ba yun 55-57%...thanks

Hi again, 55- 57% I think is a safe grade, considering that you have 1300 questions left, believe me tataas pa yan. To give you an example my average for my usmleworld step 1 for the whole 2000+ 1st time answered questions was 60% (my scored ranged from 50- 60% during the 1st half and it increased to 60- 70% during the latter part of my review) and my actual score was in the 230's/90's. So don't be discouraged, just try to study the questions especially kung saan ka nagkamali and read them thoroughly. So don't worry... You'll be fine.

#41 meemee

meemee

PMD Intern

• PMD Bronze 2 Group
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 09:29 PM

ok...thanks again for the support bonerskinner :blush: . kakapraning na talaga...20 days nalang. enough ba yun time per block?? ang ikli kasi ng questions sa uworld. i heard mahahaba yun vignette na MLE...any tips how to go about the day of the exam? thanks. by the way did you do first aid and kaplan during last month of your review or uworld nalang lahat?? ayaw kasi tumaas ng grade ko even if im studying the explanations in uworld.... thanks...

#42 Bonerskinners

Bonerskinners

PMD Resident

• PMD Bronze 2 Group
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 11:03 PM

ok...thanks again for the support bonerskinner :blush: . kakapraning na talaga...20 days nalang. enough ba yun time per block?? ang ikli kasi ng questions sa uworld. i heard mahahaba yun vignette na MLE...any tips how to go about the day of the exam? thanks. by the way did you do first aid and kaplan during last month of your review or uworld nalang lahat?? ayaw kasi tumaas ng grade ko even if im studying the explanations in uworld.... thanks...

Mukha ngang naprapraning ka na... hehehe... the time alloted in the test is more than enough, the long vignettes is found in step 2 ck. The question in the uworld is a close approximate of the actual mle. Actually mas mahirap pa nga ang uworld than the actual exam. During my last month of my review puro 1st Aid and uworld lang ako. I didn't use kaplan kasi mahaba na masyado yun. Just be patient and try not to think of the score, tataas din yan.

On the actual day of the exam, my tips:
1)Ateneo Professional School in Salcedo Makati is not Ateneo Graduate School in rockwell (nagkamali kasi ako hehehe)
2)You can come as early as 7 and start your exam earlier than 9am
3)you are alloted 45 minutes of break time but you can increase it by foregoing the time alloted for the orientation which is an additional 15 minutes.
4) There is a canteen on the same floor as prometric so food is not a problem
5) Enjoy the exam and divide your breaks wisely

Kayang kaya mo yan, just don't forget to pray. Good luck

#43 meemee

meemee

PMD Intern

• PMD Bronze 2 Group
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 10 July 2009 - 01:17 AM

hahaha, praning na nga ako........sensya na sa kulit ko :tongue: .......thank you again.

Mukha ngang naprapraning ka na... hehehe... the time alloted in the test is more than enough, the long vignettes is found in step 2 ck. The question in the uworld is a close approximate of the actual mle. Actually mas mahirap pa nga ang uworld than the actual exam. During my last month of my review puro 1st Aid and uworld lang ako. I didn't use kaplan kasi mahaba na masyado yun. Just be patient and try not to think of the score, tataas din yan.

On the actual day of the exam, my tips:
1)Ateneo Professional School in Salcedo Makati is not Ateneo Graduate School in rockwell (nagkamali kasi ako hehehe)
2)You can come as early as 7 and start your exam earlier than 9am
3)you are alloted 45 minutes of break time but you can increase it by foregoing the time alloted for the orientation which is an additional 15 minutes.
4) There is a canteen on the same floor as prometric so food is not a problem
5) Enjoy the exam and divide your breaks wisely

Kayang kaya mo yan, just don't forget to pray. Good luck

#44 ivy_m

ivy_m

PMD Fellow

• PMD Silver Group
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 17 September 2009 - 11:16 AM

this is very nice. a thread about Step 1 itself.

i'm planning to take Step 1 by December (if i get to study enough) or Jan.

Yung stuff na ginamit ko sa Philippine boards (First Aid, BRS Patho & Physio, Microbio MRS) and USMLEWorld (but still need to apply) lang ang gameplan ko so far. Mas okay din ba kung mag-Kaplan DVDs? What would be your recommended books for Biostat topics?

Thank you po in advance! :mrgreen:

#45 enelmd

enelmd

PMD Intern

• PMD Bronze 2 Group
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 06 December 2009 - 06:49 AM

this is very nice. a thread about Step 1 itself.

i'm planning to take Step 1 by December (if i get to study enough) or Jan.

Yung stuff na ginamit ko sa Philippine boards (First Aid, BRS Patho & Physio, Microbio MRS) and USMLEWorld (but still need to apply) lang ang gameplan ko so far. Mas okay din ba kung mag-Kaplan DVDs? What would be your recommended books for Biostat topics?

Thank you po in advance! :mrgreen:

Hi! plan to take the step 1 too,but i plan to take it sa april. I think you should add the Kaplan reviewers kasi almost everybody i know who took the exam vouch for it .So if thoughts of trying other reviewrs or books suddenly pops i just try to remember na they used it and they passed naman.

#46 ivy_m

ivy_m

PMD Fellow

• PMD Silver Group
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 07 December 2009 - 06:11 AM

i've changed my plans. i might be taking it April too. :mrgreen:

good luck to us!

#47 enelmd

enelmd

PMD Intern

• PMD Bronze 2 Group
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 07:34 PM

i've changed my plans. i might be taking it April too. :mrgreen:

good luck to us!

hey im going to take the step 1 exam this april.tuloy ka ba mag exam this april din? ready ka na ba? he,he

#48 Manang

Manang

PMD Visiting Physician

• PMD Silver Group
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 18 April 2010 - 09:44 AM

Those who are just starting to review for USMLE step 1 and (tagalugin ko kasi baka ma-irreg beeheybyor ako nito)...

Kung interesado kayo sa kopya ng odyo payls ng Goldyan Pato lektyur (sana di ako mahuli!), PM nyo ko.

Kawanggawa ko sa mga gaya kong nagpapalakas ng loob at naghahanap ng karamay sa masalimuot na proseso ng muling pag-aaral kahit damatan na...haha!!!

Sana balang araw, pag kelangan ko na ng ka-praktis sa CS, meron ding akong makakaramay....

#49 enelmd

enelmd

PMD Intern

• PMD Bronze 2 Group
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 05:51 PM

just passed step 1!!!! hay what a relief .sa mga mag step 1 pa lang kaya nyo din yan.

#50 denisse08

denisse08

PMD Med Student

• PMD Bronze Group
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 10:54 PM

just passed step 1!!!! hay what a relief .sa mga mag step 1 pa lang kaya nyo din yan.

How do u find the exam? mahirap ba? How about the time? Is it enough per block? Hows the experience in general? Thanks