Photo
- - - - -

Journey to MD (please take time to read this) :)

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Lawrence

Lawrence

PMD Intern

• PMD Bronze 2 Group
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 22 August 2015 - 11:43 PM

Has anyone here experience to work first for a couple of years before going into medicine? I would just want to ask how you manage your time, money, effort, persistence and determination to still continue to med school? I really need your inspiring stories/advice and guidance. That would be such a great help for me and to others who are experiencing the same. By the way let me tell you my story.

I am currently a call center agent, graduated BS Medical Technology. I wasn't able to pass our comprehensive exam last April so our Dean decided not to let me take the board exam this September. I applied as a call center agent for a mean time to be able to earn money so I can be able to take the boards on March 2016. I am not an intelligent student way back, I also failed a lot. Graduating as a Medtech has always been a miracle to me and by the way our school is one of the top schools for medtech in the Philippines despite of low tuition fee (5 to 6k per semester) so they really need to screen out students every semester (incuring 9 units or 3 failed minor subjs) and I am still wondering how I manage to graduate despite of some failing grades. I also grew up in a poor and broken family. Without the help of my grandmother, I surely won't be able to finish my studies because no one will support me since our parents already abandoned us. But I am here, I was able to continue life. This comes to a realization that maybe this is really God's plan for me.

Becoming a doctor has always been my dream. But I am not sure if I will be able to achieve that. Since I am the eldest among us, basically I have to support my siblings because no one else will. It is also payback time to my grandma who help me through the years. She is already getting old and won't be able to support me anymore for the next endeavor I am willing to take. I want to make her proud. If this happens, I will be the 1st doctor in our clan. And I want to show my relatives, (the one who degrades us) that I can make it.

But what will I do next? WILL I continue to be a call center agent,work, earn money and still continue to med school? But how can I be able to help my sisters? I really am so confused. But I am still dreaming that maybe years from now I will be in a hospital helping patients. I will be the one to take care of my grandma if that time comes. And I also would want to let my mom and dad know that despite of leaving us, I was able to become a successful doctor and was able to help my siblings all throughout.

Thank you for spending time reading this post. Please feel free to comment anything you would want to say. I will really appreciate that. And to those who are experiencing the same, please feel free to share your thoughts. God bless! :)

#2 ethan

ethan

PMD Intern

• PMD Bronze 2 Group
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 23 August 2015 - 08:54 PM

Hi, if you really DREAM to be a doctor, then begin right now.

Government officials have been giving out scholarships to deserving applicants. Of course, your Bachelor degree grades and NMAT will be the deciding factors for it.

Remember though, that being a doctor entails much hardwork, discipline, and TIME. You complete 4 years of a Doctor of Medicine degree, 1 year of Post-graduate Internship, then have a "break" of 1 year to review for the Licensure Exams. For a large majority, they continue on to 3-5 years of Residency/Specialty training, and then to 1-2 years of Fellowship. That entails a minimum of 9 years (eg Pediatrics, Internal Medicine, Rehab Med), 10 years (eg ENT, Ophthalmology) to even a maximum of 12 or more years (for some Internal medicine and surgical subspecialties).

And bear in mind that in desiring to be a Medical Doctor, service should be your primary priority. Despite the stereotype of doctors being "wealthy", it is safe to say that the large majority belong to either the lower or middle class. Your income will be stable enough to pay the bills, have some entertainment, etc., but for most, it's just that. Likewise, there's this notion that after graduating MD degree, you "have to get" a specialty training (residency). Quite a lot of training programs (esp. in private hospitals) give out as low as 12k/month, necessitating trainees' parents to give them some "allowance". Of course, government hospitals are another option - but many are too heavy in patient load, "unclean", and have a lot of "internal politics" (much like in Politics or Corporate fields).

Also, Medicine is NOT only about studying and classroom work. It also means that much of your life will be stuck in the hospital for the duration of your training (I guess you already know that since you are a MedTech). It starts from clerkship, Post-grad internship, 3-5 years of residency, then 1-2 years of fellowship. To put it succinctly, this means that you will have to sacrifice practically much of your TWENTIES even up to your early THIRTIES by being in the hospital. So ask yourself, is this really worth it? Now, I want to emphasize this (not to discourage you), since I personally know many "eager beavers" in their late 20s (having worked first for a couple of years) enrol in an MD program, only to find out that they really did NOT want the lifestyle or can't bear with the hectic demands of the profession, and soon quit. Sayang lang ang pera at yung slot sa Med School. Of course, there are also quite a lot who are in the same situation as yours and end up being great, successful doctors.

So to conclude, if you REALLY WANT to be a DOCTOR, then try to save some for your finances, then enroll in an MD course. Let this be your test: imagine yourself in your later years. Will you deeply regret NOT taking up Medicine, or will being in another field (say, Law) be as equally fulfilling? If you are QUITE SURE that you'll end up regretting that you did not take Medicine, then NO NEED for further questions. Medicine is for YOU. Search for possible financiers (again,. mayors, governors, relatives, etc.), study for NMAT, and go enrol in a Med School.

Edited by ethan, 23 August 2015 - 09:01 PM.

#3 Lawrence

Lawrence

PMD Intern

• PMD Bronze 2 Group
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 24 August 2015 - 04:21 AM

I will think about it for a thousand times before I get into it. But as you have said, yes I will now start to earn and save money for the future. And by the way, thank you for the information. God bless you always! :)

#4 sourcingkid

sourcingkid

PMD Intern

• PMD Bronze 2 Group
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 26 August 2015 - 03:55 AM

Hi Lawrence. Sama situation tayo. Gusto ko na mag med, pero di ko alam kung mag work pa ako kahit 2 years pa para makaipon o ituloy ko na. God bless us!

#5 gastric_bubble

gastric_bubble

PMD Intern

• PMD Bronze 2 Group
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 29 August 2015 - 07:24 PM

Hello Lawrence... I did not have significant work experience before I went into med school. So I may not be the best person to give you advice...

It all boils down to your principles, and to what you value most: to be a good provider to your family? Or to study to become a doctor? Of course you can value both, and do both, though it's easier said than done.

I have not tried it, but I have classmates in med school who became working med students. Eventually, they have to choose. Some gave up their side jobs to focus more on Medicine full time, while others eventually left med school.

Just remember that whatever your decision will be, it will not make you less of a person. And nobody has the right to judge you.

Just my 2 centavos. Good luck :-)

#6 Lawrence

Lawrence

PMD Intern

• PMD Bronze 2 Group
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 31 August 2015 - 11:28 AM

Hello Lawrence... I did not have significant work experience before I went into med school. So I may not be the best person to give you advice...

It all boils down to your principles, and to what you value most: to be a good provider to your family? Or to study to become a doctor? Of course you can value both, and do both, though it's easier said than done.

I have not tried it, but I have classmates in med school who became working med students. Eventually, they have to choose. Some gave up their side jobs to focus more on Medicine full time, while others eventually left med school.

Just remember that whatever your decision will be, it will not make you less of a person. And nobody has the right to judge you.

Just my 2 centavos. Good luck :-)

Thank you! :) I will definitely go to med school maybe 2 years from now. God bless! :)

#7 Manubrium

Manubrium

PMD Resident

• PMD Bronze 2 Group
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 06 September 2015 - 09:51 PM

hirap pagsabayin work and med school. di naman parang law school ang med school. Para matuto tayo we have to see as many patients as we can. Kahit naman sa actual practice, minsan akala mo nakita mo na lahat ng cases but lo and behold that are medical cases that are so out ordinary..If you want to go to med school you have to give your 100% to it.

#8 Lawrence

Lawrence

PMD Intern

• PMD Bronze 2 Group
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 08 September 2015 - 11:27 AM

hirap pagsabayin work and med school. di naman parang law school ang med school. Para matuto tayo we have to see as many patients as we can. Kahit naman sa actual practice, minsan akala mo nakita mo na lahat ng cases but lo and behold that are medical cases that are so out ordinary..If you want to go to med school you have to give your 100% to it.

Hehehe. Yes po! :) magwowork lang po muna ako para makapag ipon before po ako mag enroll sa med school. :) Thank you and God bless!

#9 angeloMD_

angeloMD_

PMD Intern

• PMD Bronze 2 Group
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 07 July 2017 - 01:54 AM

Let this be your test: imagine yourself in your later years. Will you deeply regret NOT taking up Medicine, or will being in another field (say, Law) be as equally fulfilling? If you are QUITE SURE that you'll end up regretting that you did not take Medicine, then NO NEED for further questions. Medicine is for YOU. Search for possible financiers (again,. mayors, governors, relatives, etc.), study for NMAT, and go enrol in a Med School.

Hi, how are you? Are you studying na? Let me know.

This is the ultimate thought that answered my question will I continue to medicine. I graduated last 2015 and I am currently working for almost 2 years. And at last, with the promise of my parents, they will support my studies next year but in one condition, I will be the one to pay my tuition fee on my 1st year. I think what they try to prove is if I am really decided to study, prove it by saving money to pay my tuition fee. I think my advice for you is really show to yourself and others that you reall want to study so that they can help you along the way. Always remember, there is an angel walking among us. 

#10 bbonagua

bbonagua

PMD Med Student

• PMD Bronze 2 Group
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 07 July 2017 - 04:11 AM

marami na ngyn free tuition fee for medicine sa mga state university... try nyo mag apply sayang din ung pagkakataon habang free ngyn. galingan nyo na lng sa NMAT at sa interview...

#11 nyahaha6789

nyahaha6789

PMD Med Student

• PMD Bronze 2 Group
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 08 July 2017 - 03:31 AM

Hello Angelo, thank you! 1 year na po ako nagwowork pero I think hindi pa po enough yung naipon ko since ako po ang nagpapa aral sa kapatid ko. Anyway thank you for that, sisikapin ko po na makapagipon pa. And willing po tlga ako na ipushthtough ito, ako pala si lawrence yung nagpost jan kaya lang nalimutan ko yung username and password ko before. Kelan and saan po kayo mag ernroll this coming school year? 😊

#12 nyahaha6789

nyahaha6789

PMD Med Student

• PMD Bronze 2 Group
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 08 July 2017 - 03:36 AM

Naisip ko nga din po eh baka sign na dahil biglang free na yung tuition fee, parang kung pagsusumikapan mo lang ibbgay tlga sayo ng Diyos. Kaya lang minsan may mga negative dn dahil naisip ko mkaka avail kaya ako nun eh hindi naman ako magaling. Kasi xmpre may requirements yan. Just like you, i finished Medtech for 5 long years and nagkaroon ako ng mga bagsak kasi one thing na well di ko naman pinagsisihan kasi naging masaya ako for the experience, there are times na talagang inaamin kong nagpabaya ako. Di nagreview ng maayos, inom dito inoom doon. Saka I really am having a hard time since wala talagang susuporta saakin, lalo na ngyon parents ko naghiwalay na. Ako yung nagpapaaral sa kapatid ko napaka selfish ko siguro kung di ko siya tutulungan pero sana. Naniniwala ako na may Angel na pwedeng tumulong saakin sana. 😞

#13 Nothingbutc

Nothingbutc

PMD Resident

• PMD Bronze 2 Group
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 29 July 2017 - 03:04 AM

Looking for a good residency training program which still gives you time for family?

Unciano Colleges and General Hospital Department of Family Medicine, Antipolo is still accepting applicants for its 3-year residency program.

Ranked 5th in the TOP 10 INSTITUTIONS offering Family Medicine residency training in the country for the year 2015.

We are only required 8 duties a month.

Time-in at 10am, you can go home once relieved the next day.

Basic net monthly income of : 20-22k

Free 3 meals for duty residents.

- accredited by PAFP
- Tertiary Hospital
- 3 year program

Pre- Residency: total of 16 duties WITH Salary (same as residents)

Family Medicine graduates are able to handle patients from conception to death. It also opens up possibilities for sub-specialties such as:
1. Sports Medicine
2. Hospice and Palliative Care
3. Geriatrics
4. Epidemiology
5. Toxicology
6. Infectious Disease
7. Family Wellness
8. Community Health
9. Occupational Health
10. School Health
11. Emergency Medicine
12. HMO Coordination