170 replies to this topic

#151 sailormoon

sailormoon

PMD Visiting Physician

• PMD Silver Group
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 27 June 2009 - 10:56 AM

Hi.. I'll be taking the board exam sa February pa. Ano ung recommended reviewers/book for surgery? :unsure:

read mo previous posts.. im sure meron dyan.. ako i found montraid (ata..forgot it shucks) helpful

#152 jackamomo

jackamomo

PMD Fellow

• PMD Silver Group
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 07 July 2009 - 07:57 AM

Hi.. I'll be taking the board exam sa February pa. Ano ung recommended reviewers/book for surgery? :unsure:

read mo previous posts.. im sure meron dyan.. ako i found montraid (ata..forgot it shucks) helpful

my dear it's spelled as Mont Reid. And no, it's not advisable to read it as it didn't really help much with the surgical part of the boards. The surgery exam, as an opinion shared by everyone (and i'm sure if you took the exam before alam nyo na to), is every bit like an in-service exam ng gs. parang tipong as if someone was on duty that night whilst he made the exam and had a case ng liposarcoma, fibroadenoma, hernia, and ppl with traumatic injuries, etc. etc. The questions are typically related to what type of diagnostics must be taken should a case of someone say, for example, a tumor on the right thigh comes along... should you do biopsy? or do a CT muna?

Anyway, one way that helped me through the surgery part is to know the general algorithm of tumors. What to do if the tumor is hard/or soft, what to do with the tumor is fast growing? slow growing? yada yada yada... Someone once suggested to read the pre-test ng schwartz and sabiston as there was one exam (don't know the year, so sorry) na verbatim galing ang mismong questions. And no, sorry, di rin sya lumabas sa boards noong time ko. With that said, I must emphasize that you have to read between the lines, kasi the questions are really tricky. Sometimes, akala mo un ang sagot kasi napakaobvious na yan ang answer pero di pala ganun ang pagkatanong ng examiner (maybe he needs English grammar lessons, who knows?)

Ok, here's an example (di to lumabas sa boards, but here's an example of what I meant as in trick question).

Q: What is the most common hernia in FEMALES?

Answer: is it Indirect hernia or Femoral?

....If u answered Indirect, tama ka. Kasi nga it's the most common hernia. Ang Femoral naman is more commonly seen in women, pero in general terms as a whole, it's indirect parin. Even though indirect hernia is typically seen in more males than females, it's common parin sa babae.

Confused? yeah. that's how it was.

Hope to have been of help. Goodluck, guys! By now dapat nagsa-samplex na kayo....anlapit na....

#153 Jam MD

Jam MD

PMD Intern

• PMD Bronze 2 Group
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 30 August 2009 - 07:31 PM

hi! me and my friends plan to take the boards in feb 2009. are there still review classes for the feb boards? and can anyone recommend a good center.

thanks so much!

I reviewed in Topnotch. They're great. They'd make you feel that you are a family. During the review for the August 2009 boards, they had quite a great line-up of lecturers.

#154 quack_doctor

quack_doctor

PMD Fellow

• PMD Silver Group
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 01:11 AM

thank you jakamomo.

just wondering saan pwede i-download ung oc-oc notes? thanks :)

#155 Rosie

Rosie

PMD Med Student

• PMD Bronze Group
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 11:07 PM

Here's a link to a paper written by Dr. Banzuela. The article does not only deal on the best review center but also gave a concise outline of how to pass the boards.

The Complete Guide to the Philippine Physician Licensure Examinations

Good Luck!!!

Hi!

The link no longer exist. Do you have soft copy of that review guide? Please send to avila_rocee@yahoo.com.
Thanks. God bless.

Rosie

Edited by Rosie, 24 February 2010 - 11:09 PM.

#156 elrey_md

elrey_md

PMD Consultant

• PMD Platinum Group
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 874 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 12:34 PM

Just passing this information from a friend..thank you

If you ranked #1 or #2 in your graduating class, and are about to take the Physician Board Exam, get in touch with us and avail our Topnotch Scholarship! Medical Class Valedictorians are offered a FULL SCHOLARSHIP while Medical Class Salutatorians are offered a PARTIAL SCHOLASHIP when you take your Board Prep with us! Slots are limited, so apply early!

Just prepare all supporting documents or transcript of records. Terms and conditions apply.

http://www.topnotchb...id=41&Itemid=26

#157 ianthedoctor

ianthedoctor

PMD Intern

• PMD Bronze 2 Group
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 02:57 AM

nakakakaba'''\

#158 findthisbookplease

findthisbookplease

PMD Intern

• PMD Bronze 2 Group
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 07:56 PM

FOR SALE: FIRST AID FOR THE USMLE STEP 1 2012 EDITION BY TAO LE (METRO MANILA ONLY)
please email findthisbookplease@yahoo.com for details, thank you!

#159 fred_md

fred_md

PMD Intern

• PMD Bronze 2 Group
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 03:12 AM

USMLE parts 1 and 2 are definately good reads for board exams!

#160 znewbie

znewbie

PMD Intern

• PMD Bronze 2 Group
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 08:07 PM

Im selling usmle 2011 and surgery recall for 900 pesos (photocopy,ring bind)

#161 MeoTwisterMD

MeoTwisterMD

PMD Intern

• PMD Bronze 2 Group
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 04:30 AM

Question lang... how would you know or "feel" if you've studied enough for a particular subject?  Kasi I just rampaged BRS Gross Anatomy in 4 days and will probably finish it siguro bukas Friday, going to go one last round sa libro on Saturday then take a breather Sunday and May 13 (di ako nakaregister bumoto sobrang busy wahahaha).

So far sa natapos ko I finished going through all of it... but I'm not sure if I know or feel like I studied it enough or if I have to go through the entire book again.

Baka mas mental and confidence thing siya, pero does anyone have advice on trying to reach the point where you're satisfied enough sa inaral mo?

#162 RAMBO_MD

RAMBO_MD

PMD Visiting Physician

• PMD Silver Group
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 06:00 AM

You'll know it when you're ready. When somebody ask you randomly and you can answer it with confidence, then you're on the right track. The thing about preparing for boards is that you think you have not covered enough. You think you have to review over and over again but still is not enough. We've all been there. Trust me. Just don't pressure yourself too much and always find time to relax. Prepare yourself mentally, physically and go find Jesus. :) Goodluck!

#163 MeoTwisterMD

MeoTwisterMD

PMD Intern

• PMD Bronze 2 Group
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 02:44 AM

Well since 10 days nalang bago exam, ask ko lang kung which parts of Biochem do you guys think we should concentrate more on?  Medyo confident na ako for most subjects, pero Biochem pinaka hirap ako so for my final go before exams plano ko imaster yung mga mas likely mabigat na lalabas sa exam.  Any advice?

#164 nobushino

nobushino

PMD Med Student

• PMD Bronze Group
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 01:16 PM

Hi guys! I just got out off internship ( yeah ill be missing the august boards bummer!!) And just want to ask if anyone here has any idea about BRAINS review center? Are they good? Well initially i chose topnotch but its just too far from our area.. thanks in advance docs!! Godbless!

#165 Kal-El

Kal-El

PMD Consultant

• PMD Gold Group
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 734 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 07:42 PM

Good Luck Doctors! Day 1 of Licensure Exam for Physicians.. God Bless you Doctors, May God be with you, take care and dont let up!  :rolleyes:

Edited by Kal-El, 09 August 2013 - 07:43 PM.

#166 eikramgangnam

eikramgangnam

PMD Visiting Physician

• PMD Silver Group
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 09:37 PM

Hi.ask ko lang po anu website pede mkapg download free pdf ng usmle sample questions for pediatric chapter.need ko kasi as revwer for pps diplomate.pang practice exam kumbaga.thanks

Edited by ஜ Agnodice ஜ, 10 August 2013 - 08:52 PM.
textspeak and textlingo

#167 svenordanza

svenordanza

PMD Fellow

• PMD Silver Group
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 30 October 2015 - 06:12 AM

Hi!!!! try mo po mag download dito, gen.lib.rus.ec usually maraming libro na pede idirect download dito eh

#168 therin

therin

PMD Med Student

• PMD Bronze 2 Group
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 February 2016 - 09:20 PM

Hello po. Tips for medical reviewers this Sept 2016 boards? 

#169 rvolacjr

rvolacjr

PMD Med Student

• PMD Bronze Group
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 June 2017 - 07:36 AM

Hello! Is this forum still active? Anyway, I'm currently a PGI and we're the pioneer batch to take the boards this September 2017 with less than 3 months to review. With this, we're basically doing everything we can to compensate for such dear loss. If any of you would please be so kind as to share your review materials, or specifically, samplex"es" thru email? mine's rvolacjr@icloud.com this would totally be a great help. thank you so much in advance!

#170 ions

ions

PMD Med Student

• PMD Bronze Group
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 June 2017 - 06:21 PM

Hi, 

I'm taking the board exam next year and I'm wondering how much will I spend for the preparation and taking the board exam? Could you guys give me a breakdown at least: Review, Rent etc...thanks a lot doctors!

#171 elishacasas

elishacasas

PMD Med Student

• PMD Bronze 2 Group
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 02:05 PM

yan din ang advice ng 1 consultant/family friend sa akin. btw, pwede ba mag-sit in sa review class?

I can't speak for other board review centers... but for Topnotch, no you may not. Sa totoo lang, unfair din sa mga nagbayad ng full.  It is not cheap but hey, it's worth it!