21 replies to this topic

#1 kairo721

kairo721

PMD Intern

• PMD Bronze 2 Group
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 03:46 AM

hi im an incoming med student, and im having a dilemma on which school i should go to. for the upperclassmen, what made you choose UERM? thanks a lot :)

#2 Filter

Filter

PMD Fellow

• PMD Silver Group
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 09:53 AM

ang pinaka masayang medschool!!!>>>>>>>>>> UERMMMC :mrgreen:

#3 Dr.J

Dr.J

PMD Resident

• PMD Bronze 2 Group
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 08:32 PM

Upper class men?

#4 docvlad

docvlad

PMD Fellow

• PMD Silver Group
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 08:43 PM

Di ko na alam ngayon ang situation, but back in my time (not that long ago, take note :mrgreen: ), I wanted to be part of the first PBL batch of UERM. I'm still proud of it to this day :bye:

#5 meako

meako

PMD Fellow

• PMD Silver Group
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 12 March 2011 - 01:11 AM

same with Filter....heheh ang dami kong nabasang mga threads na nagsasabi "pinakamasayang med school/ pinakamasayang mga med students"...... :)

#6 Filter

Filter

PMD Fellow

• PMD Silver Group
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 13 March 2011 - 11:35 AM

Di ko na alam ngayon ang situation, but back in my time (not that long ago, take note :mrgreen: ), I wanted to be part of the first PBL batch of UERM. I'm still proud of it to this day :bye:

docvlad, ikaw ba ay part ng first PBL batch of UERM? what batch ka? ako kasi, am part of the Last batch of PBL ng UERM, Class 2009... yung class 2010, is traditional na. this coming August, they will be tested if OK ba ang ginawa nilang pag balik sa traditional when they take the Physician's Licensure Examinations. Goodluck to them. :)

#7 Filter

Filter

PMD Fellow

• PMD Silver Group
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 13 March 2011 - 11:37 AM

Upper class men?

Yup!!! :mrgreen:

#8 Filter

Filter

PMD Fellow

• PMD Silver Group
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 13 March 2011 - 11:40 AM

same with Filter....heheh ang dami kong nabasang mga threads na nagsasabi "pinakamasayang med school/ pinakamasayang mga med students"...... :)

yap, pero sa akin, hindi lang nababasa kundi naramdaman at nadama ko talaga. Natuwa ako sa UERM in my medschool years. MASAYA!!! Proud to be a UERMMMC alumnus... :mrgreen:

#9 docvlad

docvlad

PMD Fellow

• PMD Silver Group
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 13 March 2011 - 12:54 PM

docvlad, ikaw ba ay part ng first PBL batch of UERM? what batch ka? ako kasi, am part of the Last batch of PBL ng UERM, Class 2009... yung class 2010, is traditional na. this coming August, they will be tested if OK ba ang ginawa nilang pag balik sa traditional when they take the Physician's Licensure Examinations. Goodluck to them. :)

Yup, batch 2002. Ayan, napaamin tuloy! :P I never believed that the true benefits of the PBL curriculum could be accurately gauged by the Physician's Licensure Exam, but that's how it has always been done, nonetheless. I still remember how our group spent hours figuring things out for ourselves and debating fact versus fiction while citing various references and quoting famous authors. You couldn't go to tutorials without reading at least 2 books on the subject matter, or you'd be completely lost in the woods :lol: Many times we would get so excited that we would even argue with our preceptor (many of them didn't like it, but such discussions helped us to differentiate theory from practice, which in itself was invaluable). Yes, PBL probably didn't prepare us for the traditional board exams, but it definitely prepared me for life after med school.

Of course, most of my other memories of UERM were fun as well... competing in a "Battle of the Bands" and winning 3rd place, joining Red Cross, the choral competitions every Christmas season, the sports fests, discovering the wonders of online research, having our research published, impressing the Internal Medicine Department with our Grand Rounds, the CPCs, learning the rules, breaking the rules, making new friends... ah, happy days!

#10 dancirayos

dancirayos

PMD Intern

• PMD Bronze 2 Group
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 11:58 PM

batch 2010 here... i'm not sure kung dahil sa traditional pero our batch that took the August boards had 100% passing...
pero ang dahilan ko kung bakit UERm ang pinili ko before kasi PBL - madami daw oras na free... but then again binalik nila sa traditional...
MASAYA talaga sa UERM... lalo na kapag clerkship... all the syet and stuff, masaya pa din.

too bad hindi nila inaalagaan ang mga resident nila... 10k pa din ata sweldo nila dun, dawurz!... hehe. pero pamilya ang turingan dun! dabest!

#11 rivernathan

rivernathan

PMD Resident

• PMD Bronze 2 Group
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 04:06 AM

wow 100 % ba talaga tayo last August? wow naman my kudos to the lates batch :-)
Pero bakit naman nung saturday when I took the PGH qualifying exam in surgery...the professor upon my inquiry told me na no. 13 tayo sa latest na ranking ng mga med skuls..He told me others daw ang turing sa med school natin. priority daw sa surgery ang nasa top 10 list. What happend to the latest results this August..Did we fare bad? :-(

Edited by ஜ Aescupulus ஜ, 09 September 2011 - 07:37 PM.
avoid textspeak please

#12 ocergdeci

ocergdeci

PMD Resident

• PMD Bronze 2 Group
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 01:28 AM

wow 100 % ba tlaga tayo last August? wow naman my kudos to the lates batch :-)
Pero bakit naman nung saturday when I took the PGH qualifying exam in surgery...the professor upon my inquiry told me na no. 13 tayo sa latest na ranking ng mga med skuls..He told me others daw ang turing sa med skul natin. priority daw sa surgery ang nasa top 10 list. What happend to the latest results this August..Did we fare bad? :-(

Sabi po nung prof namin, 100% yung batch 2010 na nagtake. So excluding repeaters and non-2010 graduates yun. As to overall performance ranking, 4th tayo. (http://www.prc.gov.p.../PHYS0811ps.pdf)
I wonder anong ranking yung "no. 13" na yun. Could it be based on something else? They consider school ranking pala sa pagtanggap ng residents...

I know this might seem way too early for me to ask kasi 2nd year pa lang ako, pero about PGH surg, what is the nature of the application process? Is it really as competitive and deadly as what people say? Kailangan top of the class po ba and/or stellar board rating? Do they give chances to non-UP grads?

#13 rivernathan

rivernathan

PMD Resident

• PMD Bronze 2 Group
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 05:38 AM

Pero bakit naman nung saturday when I took the PGH qualifying exam in surgery...the professor upon my inquiry told me na no. 13 tayo sa latest na ranking ng mga med skuls..He told me others daw ang turing sa med skul natin. priority daw sa surgery ang nasa top 10 list. What happend to the latest results this August..Did we fare bad? :-(

Sabi po nung prof namin, 100% yung batch 2010 na nagtake. So excluding repeaters and non-2010 graduates yun. As to overall performance ranking, 4th tayo. (http://www.prc.gov.p.../PHYS0811ps.pdf)
I wonder anong ranking yung "no. 13" na yun. Could it be based on something else? They consider school ranking pala sa pagtanggap ng residents...

I know this might seem way too early for me to ask kasi 2nd year pa lang ako, pero about PGH surg, what is the nature of the application process? Is it really as competitive and deadly as what people say? Kailangan top of the class po ba and/or stellar board rating? Do they give chances to non-UP grads?

My tips if you want to train in Surgery at PGH:

1. Study hard. I mean really really hard. Top your class or at the least be at the top 10% of your class. PGH is a discriminating school/hospital especially for other medical schools. They classify medical schools as UP or others...if you want to have a fighting chance...top your class :-)

2. With tip #1 , take your post grad internship (5th yr) at PGH. Impress them.. I knew alot of graduates of other medical schools who were admitted to the PGH surgery program. It will be plus if you had your internship there..

3. Get yourself into a fraternity/sorority. Damn, I knew an alumni from UERM who took the boards twice and yet he was able to enter PGH by virtue of his fraternity connections. One influential consultant who was his fraternity brod literally inserted his name on the final list of residents :-)

4. Top the qualifying exam in surgery...show other applicants especially those from applicants from UP medicine that you are one helluva doctor :-) Beat them all :-)

5. Ace the qualifying interview...be ready with a good research topic in surgery..they will ask you to present one.

6. Pray UERM would be at the least on the top 10 of their medical school ranking :-)

Hope these tips will help. :-)

Edited by ஜ Aescupulus ஜ, 09 September 2011 - 07:38 PM.
Refrain from textspeak

#14 juwe

juwe

PMD Intern

• PMD Bronze 2 Group
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 10 September 2011 - 10:38 AM

maybe yung overall, like including schools with less than 50 students who took the exam. 4th tayo for 50+ category ahehe. im not sure with the "13th" though...

#15 dancirayos

dancirayos

PMD Intern

• PMD Bronze 2 Group
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 11:41 PM

good luck po sir rivernathan... daming mong kalaban ngayon sa surgery... si mac onglao mag surgery e... power batch ang upcm 2011 ngayon not to mention may upperclassmen pa...

i agree na kelangan mong magtop sa qualifying exams... hehe. galingan mo na lang palagi... medyo stiff ang competition lalo na kung madaming magaling sa batch ng upcm...

for future references, since mag take effect na yung return of service in 2 years, mas dadami pa ang upcm grads na magreresidency... hehe.

#16 docingladstone

docingladstone

PMD Fellow

• PMD Silver Group
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 01:44 AM

hi im an incoming med student, and im having a dilemma on which school i should go to. for the upperclassmen, what made you choose UERM? thanks a lot :)

di kasi nakapasok sa UPCM so second choice ang UPRM..ooops..UERM pala.

#17 freesiawhiz

freesiawhiz

PMD Intern

• PMD Bronze 2 Group
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 06:30 AM

I mean, WHY NOT UERM? :) Masaya talaga. I don't know kung ano ang latest curriculum, pero I heard na marami ng improvements :)As for the hospital, mababait ang residents, nurses (most of them), and consultants! Most memorable ang clerkship :)

#18 monsy

monsy

PMD Med Student

• PMD Bronze Group
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 05:19 AM

Maganda na ang board passing rate ng UERM since binalik sa traditional. Nasa top performing school din tayo. Madaming time mag-aral at masaya talaga haha!

#19 thirdkill

thirdkill

PMD Intern

• PMD Bronze 2 Group
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 07 March 2016 - 12:54 PM

i want to read more from latest batches kung kumusta sa uerm.

comment kayo dito please

#20 kln

kln

PMD Med Student

• PMD Bronze 2 Group
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 07 March 2016 - 04:57 PM

UERM was my 2nd choice only but now that I'm here, I can say that this is probably one of the best decisions I've made in terms of choosing my med school. I know I made the right choice. Madaming ginagawa pero balanced ang life, maraming inaaral pero meron ding presentations na sobrang saya gawin alam mong nag-eenjoy kayo :) marami na rin improvements, maganda na yung campus and I've heard there are still lots of renovations to be done. As to the professors, halos lahat sila mababait and with very good credentials and I've noticed inaalagaan talaga nila yung students nila especially the freshies. When it comes to the sched, alam naman natin na very busy maging med student but the whole sched is fixed before the semester starts so you can actually plan your lakwatsa/getaways early on, unless there are unforeseen suspensioms that call for sched adjustment. Hindi rin ganoon kadami yung quiz compared sa iba but you will eventually learn to study on a regular basis and also prepare early for the long exams. :)

#21 dutchmill

dutchmill

PMD Resident

• PMD Bronze 2 Group
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 21 May 2016 - 11:17 AM

UERM MEDICINE
✔PAASCU Level IV Accreditation (highest accreditation along with UPCM)
✔DOST Center of Excellence in Research
✔CHED Center of Excellence in Medical Education (along with UPCM and USTFMS)
✔Included in the Top 10 Best Medical Schools in the Philippines (high board passing rate)

#22 yourservice

yourservice

PMD Resident

• PMD Bronze 2 Group
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 01:17 AM

Do I need to join a fraternity and sorority to become a successful doctor?