76 replies to this topic

#1 future_surgeon

future_surgeon

PMD Intern

• PMD Bronze 2 Group
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 04:42 AM

Due to the high cost of medical education, its a tough decision for me to transfer to a new medical school..
I finished 1st year medicine in one of the prestigious schools in Mindanao and is currently planning to enroll in SWU as second year med student..
The school here implemented a 5% increase in its tuition and other fees. Second year assessment reached 84,000 per semester as compared to SWU's 96,000 PER YEAR (48,000 per semester)..

With this, I decided that I will be continuing my studies in SWU to help my parents reduce their expenses. I know that with this decision entails a great deal of adjustment since I will be living alone for the first time. I know I can do it. I must.

To the present and past students of SWU-College of Medicine, can you please help me know what is it like to become a SWU med student?What must I know? What should I expect? Curriculum?How are the grades being computed?Types of exams?Are there daily quizzes?

These important things will greatly prepare me once I will be starting there..thanks a lot! (",) :rolleyes:

#2 redhans

redhans

PMD Fellow

• PMD Silver Group
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 06:35 AM

Due to the high cost of medical education, its a tough decision for me to transfer to a new medical school..
I finished 1st year medicine in one of the prestigious schools in Mindanao and is currently planning to enroll in SWU as second year med student..
The school here implemented a 5% increase in its tuition and other fees. Second year assessment reached 84,000 per semester as compared to SWU's 96,000 PER YEAR (48,000 per semester)..

With this, I decided that I will be continuing my studies in SWU to help my parents reduce their expenses. I know that with this decision entails a great deal of adjustment since I will be living alone for the first time. I know I can do it. I must.

To the present and past students of SWU-College of Medicine, can you please help me know what is it like to become a SWU med student?What must I know? What should I expect? Curriculum?How are the grades being computed?Types of exams?Are there daily quizzes?

These important things will greatly prepare me once I will be starting there..thanks a lot! (",) :rolleyes:

hi! DMSF ka?? asa ka nag college? wat premed? ako pud gani dili ko sa davao magmed ths year...:D
......bout ure questions.. search sa mga threads... naa tuy thread for SWU and some studes shared their experiences in SWU and were answering questions bout SWU :)

#3 future_surgeon

future_surgeon

PMD Intern

• PMD Bronze 2 Group
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 06:46 AM

hi! DMSF ka?? asa ka nag college? wat premed? ako pud gani dili ko sa davao magmed ths year...:D
......bout ure questions.. search sa mga threads... naa tuy thread for SWU and some studes shared their experiences in SWU and were answering questions bout SWU :)

Yup DMSF..mahal na kaau diri..Ateneo nagcollege..BSN ang premed..asa ka magcontinue?cebu pud?

#4 redhans

redhans

PMD Fellow

• PMD Silver Group
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 07:13 AM

ahh hehehe gaxung kaya kaayu na nimu ui,, hehehe ateneo gud ka gkan nursing pa jud.. hehe... yup CIM ko magskwela.... unsa imu section? kinsa dri imu klasmeyt: Jeb,darleen,charlie,carleen,cyrus.. :)

#5 levine

levine

PMD Intern

• PMD Bronze 2 Group
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 25 December 2010 - 10:53 AM

Hello sa inyo lahat!!

@Future_surgeon: enrolled ka na sa MHAM college of Medicine?

#6 levine

levine

PMD Intern

• PMD Bronze 2 Group
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 25 December 2010 - 11:08 AM

please visit SWU-MHAM College of Medicine Website: www.mhamedu.org

I think MHAM-CM has the lowest tuition fee among the 4 medical schools in Cebu.
The system of teaching there is purely Traditional method in the first year, sa second year may Case conference and presentation sa Pathology, pag third year pure traditional uli.

Though it is not one of the best schools of medicine but what really matters most is the student's dedication, the thirst for knowledge and his/her love to become a doctor.
And beside, hindi naman always kulelat ang MHAM, yun nga lang lenient kasi ang school sa mga students. They accept students na bumagsak sa ibang schools eh. ang dami pa foreigners galing sa ibat ibang bansa :crazy:

Plus, the school is continuously improving the facilities, visit nyo po at mai -impress ka sa Cadaver Collections and AVRs nila and the impressive faculty resumes, MHAM has been known as a Good institution for Obstetrics because the great "legend" of Ob is here, Dr. Rebecca Gucor, kahit mahina na sya, love nya parin magteach....(she is a UST graduate pala)

If you want to learn the Classic method of learning Physical diagnosis, wla nang dadaig pa kay Dr. Lorena Yu, 86 years old na pero nagtuturo parin :mrgreen:

MHAM got an impressive faculty in Patho, mga award winners lalo na ang chairman si Dr. Salillas, siya ang first Filipino to present a Cytology case sa World federation of Cytology sa Chile.

As i've said, kahit gaano pa ka impressive ang School mo, pero hindi naman ganun ka-stiff sa selection prhocess ng Students, eh siguro ganun parin ang kinalabasan diba? :blush:

Edited by levine, 25 December 2010 - 11:26 AM.

#7 friendsamsung

friendsamsung

PMD Med Student

• PMD Bronze Group
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 10:30 PM

Hi po. Ano po requirements for admission College of Medicine sa SWU? di po kasi updated ang website eh.. :)

#8 shant shan

shant shan

PMD Med Student

• PMD Bronze Group
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 01:10 AM

Hi guys, naa lang ko e ask about sa nmat bah, pila ang kailangan nimo mkuha para mka sud ka og med sa southwestern? Mo matter ba na xa? Hope nai mo reply kay gusto ko mo proceed og med, graduating npud ko sa nursing, and i need to know it as soon as possible kay sa nov na mn gud ang exam...

Edited by ஜ Agnodice ஜ, 23 August 2013 - 06:56 PM.
avoid textspeak please

#9 shant shan

shant shan

PMD Med Student

• PMD Bronze Group
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 09:01 AM

Hi guys, naa lang ko e ask about sa nmat bah, pila ang kailangan nimo makuha para maka sud ka og med sa southwestern? Mo matter ba na siya? Hope naay mo reply kay gusto ko mo proceed og med, graduating na pud ko sa nursing, and i need to know it as soon as possible kay sa november na man gud ang exam...

Edited by shant shan, 24 August 2013 - 09:06 AM.

#10 doctor in the making

doctor in the making

PMD Med Student

• PMD Bronze Group
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 07:02 AM

Hi @future_surgeon! i think i know you. im also from ateneo... i understand why you decided to pursue med in SWU.. you're following your heart's desires.. GOD BLESS! The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams :)

Edited by doctor in the making, 05 September 2013 - 07:13 AM.

#11 Kimmopablo

Kimmopablo

PMD Intern

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 04:04 AM

Hi guys, naa lang ko e ask about sa nmat bah, pila ang kailangan nimo makuha para maka sud ka og med sa southwestern? Mo matter ba na siya? Hope naay mo reply kay gusto ko mo proceed og med, graduating na pud ko sa nursing, and i need to know it as soon as possible kay sa november na man gud ang exam...

Sa MHAM po parang wala naman silang cutoff, basta 850 and above ang added scores mo sa Biology and Verbal

#12 Geebox

Geebox

PMD Med Student

• PMD Bronze 2 Group
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 02:54 AM

may updated schedule of fees po ba kyo sa mham? P105,000 something per year pa rin ba up until now?

#13 archer27

archer27

PMD Resident

• PMD Bronze 2 Group
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 11:11 PM

nasa 116,000 na sila. Third week of April pa daw magsimula tumanggap ng applicants.

#14 Kimmopablo

Kimmopablo

PMD Intern

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 02:30 PM

nasa 116,000 na sila. Third week of April pa daw magsimula tumanggap ng applicants.

Baka sakaling may changes sa schedule kung kailan sila magsisimulang mang accept ng applicants, maaari po bang pa-update nalang po dito? Salamat.. Malayo pa po kasi ako sa Cebu

#15 narf

narf

PMD Med Student

• PMD Bronze 2 Group
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 10:08 PM

I was wondering do they accept foreigners earlier?  because we have to get the student visas?  I think April is way too late.. I'm trying to get them to send me an acceptance letter.. Any input?  Thanks

#16 Mhurzz

Mhurzz

PMD Med Student

• PMD Bronze 2 Group
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 11:12 PM

Sa MHAM po parang wala naman silang cutoff, basta 850 and above ang added scores mo sa Biology and Verbal

Ako kay wala ka abot sa 850 akoa verbal and bio. Dawaton pa kaha ko ani? :(

#17 dondon

dondon

PMD Intern

• PMD Bronze 2 Group
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 08:18 AM

modawat ra man sila maskin dili kaabot 

#18 dondon

dondon

PMD Intern

• PMD Bronze 2 Group
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 08:24 AM

I was wondering do they accept foreigners earlier?  because we have to get the student visas?  I think April is way too late.. I'm trying to get them to send me an acceptance letter.. Any input?  Thanks

yeah they do accept foreigners earlier, just do inquire there and submit all your important papers in the office of the dean or you better  go directly to the secretary of the dean, she can answer all your queries :rolleyes:

#19 dondon

dondon

PMD Intern

• PMD Bronze 2 Group
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 08:26 AM

Baka sakaling may changes sa schedule kung kailan sila magsisimulang mang accept ng applicants, maaari po bang pa-update nalang po dito? Salamat.. Malayo pa po kasi ako sa Cebu

san ba ang inyu? text me 09324715661 para sabay tayu mag enrol hehheheh

#20 narf

narf

PMD Med Student

• PMD Bronze 2 Group
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 02:50 AM

yeah they do accept foreigners earlier, just do inquire there and submit all your important papers in the office of the dean or you better  go directly to the secretary of the dean, she can answer all your queries :rolleyes:

Thanks. I am contacting them and hopefully I will get accepted soon.

I am debating between university of visayas also and am trying to make a decision between gullas and mham.

What do you all think would be a better choice if the goal would be to come back to USA?

Comparing between the two schools swu and gullas which have the most medical students?

Which have the most American students including fil-ams?

Any differences between the professors and their teaching methods?  I think they both teach traditionally…  

#21 Mhurzz

Mhurzz

PMD Med Student

• PMD Bronze 2 Group
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 12:56 AM

modawat ra man sila maskin dili kaabot 

Really? Thanks for the answer. Hopefully this june:)))

#22 dondon

dondon

PMD Intern

• PMD Bronze 2 Group
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 01:24 AM

Really? Thanks for the answer. Hopefully this june:)))

yeah.,.,.,., swu ko nag nursing 

09324715661 text me nlng pra dongan ta

#23 dondon

dondon

PMD Intern

• PMD Bronze 2 Group
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 01:40 AM

Thanks. I am contacting them and hopefully I will get accepted soon.

I am debating between university of visayas also and am trying to make a decision between gullas and mham.

What do you all think would be a better choice if the goal would be to come back to USA?

Comparing between the two schools swu and gullas which have the most medical students?

Which have the most American students including fil-ams?

Any differences between the professors and their teaching methods?  I think they both teach traditionally…  

if you really want to know which is better among the two med school that you mentioned then i would choose swu-mham but im not saying this is the best school in cebu,if you really want to enrol for medicine and you aim for the best then better choose CIM (cebu institute of medicine) but CIM is more costly compare to swu-mham, yeah you're right swu-mham uses traditional way of teaching, swu-mham has the biggest number of foreign students compare to UV. choose swu so that we can be classmate. im planning to proceed to medicine this coming june hopefully

#24 DevilTaz89

DevilTaz89

PMD Intern

• PMD Bronze 2 Group
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 08:52 AM

Gandang gabi po...
Tanong ko lang po kung magkano ang tf sa swu?....yung 106k po ba ay whole year na or 1st sem lang po?..
Thanks po😃..

#25 emerygayle

emerygayle

PMD Intern

• PMD Bronze 2 Group
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 11:25 AM

Gandang gabi po...
Tanong ko lang po kung magkano ang tf sa swu?....yung 106k po ba ay whole year na or 1st sem lang po?..
Thanks po..

It's for the whole academic year na. And last time I checked it's already 116k /AC year.

#26 DevilTaz89

DevilTaz89

PMD Intern

• PMD Bronze 2 Group
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 07:54 AM

It's for the whole academic year na. And last time I checked it's already 116k /AC year.

Ahh....pero kung isasama po lahat ng cost for the 1st year med student umaabot po ba ng magkano?...kailan po ba start ng enrollment?
Thank you po....

#27 DevilTaz89

DevilTaz89

PMD Intern

• PMD Bronze 2 Group
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 08:17 AM

Good eve guys...tanong ko lang po kung affiliated ang swu sa heart center, kidney institute, lung center, at pgh para sa internship?...

#28 dondon

dondon

PMD Intern

• PMD Bronze 2 Group
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 07:12 AM

Ahh....pero kung isasama po lahat ng cost for the 1st year med student umaabot po ba ng magkano?...kailan po ba start ng enrollment? Thank you po....

this mid april ang start , text me para sabay tayu mag enrol 09324715661, ano premed mo?

#29 DevilTaz89

DevilTaz89

PMD Intern

• PMD Bronze 2 Group
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 08:04 AM

this mid april ang start , text me para sabay tayu mag enrol 09324715661, ano premed mo?

Nursing ang premed ko...batch 09 ako....sige txt kita pag nag go aignal financer ko...sana maka avail ako ng mga discount...from tacloban pa me....ikaw ano premed mo?....from where?

#30 narf

narf

PMD Med Student

• PMD Bronze 2 Group
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 06:01 PM

if you really want to know which is better among the two med school that you mentioned then i would choose swu-mham but im not saying this is the best school in cebu,if you really want to enrol for medicine and you aim for the best then better choose CIM (cebu institute of medicine) but CIM is more costly compare to swu-mham, yeah you're right swu-mham uses traditional way of teaching, swu-mham has the biggest number of foreign students compare to UV. choose swu so that we can be classmate. im planning to proceed to medicine this coming june hopefully

Thanks dondon, hopefully I will go to SWU. Do you all know which has more medical students? Is it SWU or UV? I know SWU has more foreign students but which one has more medical students total?

Thanks

#31 dondon

dondon

PMD Intern

• PMD Bronze 2 Group
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 03:57 AM

Thanks dondon, hopefully I will go to SWU. Do you all know which has more medical students? Is it SWU or UV? I know SWU has more foreign students but which one has more medical students total?

Thanks

swu has more medical students ,if im not mistaken they are now catering 16 sections in first year 20 in 2nd year,14 in 3rd year and 11 in 4th year i guess

#32 dondon

dondon

PMD Intern

• PMD Bronze 2 Group
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 03:59 AM

Nursing ang premed ko...batch 09 ako....sige txt kita pag nag go aignal financer ko...sana maka avail ako ng mga discount...from tacloban pa me....ikaw ano premed mo?....from where?

nursing din, cebu, if may latin honors ka panigurado may discount ka kong wala di ko rin alam ,pero pag nag full payment ka may 10% discount ka sa tuition only

#33 dondon

dondon

PMD Intern

• PMD Bronze 2 Group
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 04:52 AM

those who want to take the nmat exam
PLEASE BE GUIDED ACCORDINGLY

Test Date: APRIL 6, 2014

Test Centers: MANILA and CEBU only

Registration is now OPEN!

Deadline for registration and payment of test fees is MARCH 17, 2014

Please download and read the NMAT IMPORTANT ADVISORY document together with your NMAT Identification Form and NMAT Application Form. Your NMAT results will NOT be released if you fail to comply with the documentary requirements specified on the NMAT IMPORTANT ADVISORY document. :waiting:  :thumbup:

#34 archer27

archer27

PMD Resident

• PMD Bronze 2 Group
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 05:27 AM

walang application form online ang MHAM?

#35 emerygayle

emerygayle

PMD Intern

• PMD Bronze 2 Group
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 02:26 PM

Wow naay prospective batchmate! Sabay pud ko spil beh. Hahaha

#36 emerygayle

emerygayle

PMD Intern

• PMD Bronze 2 Group
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 02:28 PM

nursing din, cebu, if may latin honors ka panigurado may discount ka kong wala di ko rin alam ,pero pag nag full payment ka may 10% discount ka sa tuition only

Hala nurse pud ko :) where ka nag school??

#37 emerygayle

emerygayle

PMD Intern

• PMD Bronze 2 Group
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 02:31 PM

Retake this april. But anyways, mudawat ra japun sila under probie status.

#38 emerygayle

emerygayle

PMD Intern

• PMD Bronze 2 Group
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 02:34 PM

yeah.,.,.,., swu ko nag nursing 
09324715661 text me nlng pra dongan ta

Awp, just read this. Haha. Good for you dude you already have an honorary alumni's discount. Had I known nga mag med diay ko swu pud unta ko nag nursing.

#39 dondon

dondon

PMD Intern

• PMD Bronze 2 Group
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 10:32 PM

Hala nurse pud ko :) where ka nag school??

swu ko ikaw?

#40 DevilTaz89

DevilTaz89

PMD Intern

• PMD Bronze 2 Group
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 01:11 AM

Good eve guys...tanong ko lang po kung affiliated ang swu sa heart center, kidney institute, lung center, at pgh para sa internship?...

Sino po ang may alam ng hospital affiliation ng swu outside cebu?...may interview pa po ba pag magpaenroll sa swu?

#41 archer27

archer27

PMD Resident

• PMD Bronze 2 Group
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 05:30 AM

ako pud gplano sa SWU. 09327713033

#42 DevilTaz89

DevilTaz89

PMD Intern

• PMD Bronze 2 Group
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 10:46 AM

Hello po ulit....nagiging magclassmate ba ang mga foreigner at tayo?

#43 dondon

dondon

PMD Intern

• PMD Bronze 2 Group
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 08:26 AM

update guys

40 above na po ang nmat score na tinatanggap ngayun ng SWU

pls. be guided accordingly

#44 Mhurzz

Mhurzz

PMD Med Student

• PMD Bronze 2 Group
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 05:24 AM

wew parang ndi na ako matanggap dhl Im at low grade. Wala sa 40. Sorry to myself :(

Edited by Mhurzz, 10 March 2014 - 05:27 AM.

#45 Kimmopablo

Kimmopablo

PMD Intern

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 09:54 PM

Paano na yung hindi umabot ng 40 wala na ba talagang pag-asang matanggap?

#46 dondon

dondon

PMD Intern

• PMD Bronze 2 Group
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 04:05 AM

take po kayu ng nmat

cguraduhin nyu pong makakaabot kayu ng 40% para sure na matanggap kayu guys

good luck sa ating lahat :rolleyes:

nmat registration is still open till mar 25

test date april 6 2014 cebu and manila only

pls. be guided Accrdingly

text me for more infos

09324715661 :rolleyes:

#47 Arnel_Psychology15

Arnel_Psychology15

PMD Intern

• PMD Bronze 2 Group
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 10:08 AM

update guys

40 above na po ang nmat score na tinatanggap ngayun ng SWU

pls. be guided accordingly

really? i have my friend na nag medicine ngayon sa SWU and she said SWU would still be open admission now.

#48 Kimmopablo

Kimmopablo

PMD Intern

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 08:24 PM

Mine is a little bit lower than 40%. Sana matanggap Ahuhuh

#49 JairusPhillips

JairusPhillips

PMD Med Student

• PMD Bronze 2 Group
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 09:13 AM

Kailangan po ba talagang personal na ibigay ang requirements or okay lang thru LBC? Thanks   :hearts:

#50 emerygayle

emerygayle

PMD Intern

• PMD Bronze 2 Group
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 12:23 PM

Hello everyone. I have swu-mham requirement list. I hope this help. Click on the link. https://www.flickr.c...74113/lightbox/